Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A French and some Aussies

Bon soir! I'm in 'la mood francais' so have been quaffing a few french reds. This is purely to prepare my palate for an upcoming trip to France. I leave in 11 days and people have been asking Can you speak French?' Well, my answer is 'Non, not exactly BUT I do speak the language of wine...oui, oui?’

My favourite over the past month has been a 2009 Cotes du Rhone and I gotta tell ya, it’s a stayer! I’ve taken it to every dinner party, tucked it under my arm for each BYO restaurant and have had it as my home-alone quaffer, and I just keep going back for the same. Don't get me wrong, I do support local wines (Oh boy do I support them - In fact, the current glut of wine in Australia is purely due to the fact that I took a month off drinking a couple of years ago!!) and I have tasted some Aussie winners lately (and promise to mention them below) but I guess right now I’m just having a French focused phase.

Anyway, “wrap ya laughing gear” around these, or as they say in gay Paris, 'Wrap la bouche!' (*see footnote)

French pick of the month
Pierre Amadieu, 2009 Cotes du Rhone, Roulepierre (the stayer, the quaffer, the French phase)


Australian - on the lighter side
Shantell 2006 Yarra Valley Pinot Noir – Shantell have just released their 2006 Pinot and I was lucky enough to slurp my way through a generous pour, while indulging on duck on the deck! You must dine at Shantell – always the most magnificent lunch and view.


Getting heavier

Fergusson 2005 Yarra Valley ‘Benjamin’ Cabernet Sauvignon - I gate crashed a 60th birthday party and the generous birthday boy was serving this for his guests. He insisted I take a bottle away with me. I drank it the following night and it was a truly divine experience.

Shantell 2005 Yarra Valley cabernet Sauvignon – after pinot and duck on the deck I loaded my car boot with other morsels to try. This was superb with my home made spag bog


Sante!

*Footnote: I doubt very much that they say that

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo,

Noticed you weren't around at working lately. Delighted to see you are living your dream of drinking your way through France. Look forward to the stories.

Enjoy

Leanne P
lpentlan@portphillip.vic.gov.au