Tuesday, August 19, 2008

2004 Katnook Estate Shiraz


A and M and I made a pact to have an alcohol free August...
On the 7th August I unscrewed a 2004 Katnook Estate Shiraz and slurped my guilty way through half a bottle.
On the 8th of August I decided to email my confession:
"Girls, I have bad news and good news. The bad news is, I've broken our pact. The good news is I've discovered a delightful little number from the Coonawarra."
It really was joy in a bottle; a dark ruby with great viscosity, loads of raspberry and licorice and a chewy mouthfeel. It quite took me by surprise as it had been some time since I'd tasted a Shiraz that excited me. The question is, though, was it really that good or was it that I'd been lax and not supped on a decent glass of any variety of wine for a good couple of weeks? OR was it, in fact, my desperation, derived from the thought of going a WHOLE month (and August is a long one. It has 31 days! Why couldn't we have chosen February?) yes, a whole month without so much as a snifter of sauv, a morsel of merlot, a smattering of semillion, a tad of tempranillo, a petty sum of pinot noir, a driblet of durif, a shot of shiraz, a nuance of nebbiolo, a vial of viognier or a rinse of reisling!!!?
Well, it's now the 19th August and that Katnook Estate has persisted on my palate and on my mind and I wonder if tonight, in the name of research, I should try a couple of other Shiraz's and then the Katnook again?
...I could always aim for an alcohol free February...
Written by Jo Broom (c)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is quite red-iculas to even think you (or any wine lover) should go a month without wine....

I've go one thing to say to the JAM team....tell them they're dreaming....

bless

JONNY C